- 3 slices white or wheat bread, crusts removed
- 1½ Tbsp melted butter
- ~ ¾ cup extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 large eggs (well beaten)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ~ ¾ lb breakfast sausage
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- To taste black pepper
- To taste dried dill
- ~ ¼ cup red bell pepper, diced small
- ~ ¼ cup green bell pepper, diced small
- ~ ¼ cup yellow bell pepper, diced small
- ~ ¼ cup sweet onion, diced small
Combine the onions and peppers into a microwave save bowl and cook them in the microwave about 2 minutes with a small pat of butter. Cook sausage well and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Melt butter in glass casserole dish (a 9 x 9" square works well). Tear bread in small pieces and sprinkle over butter. Sprinkle the cooked vegetables and drained sausage over the bread. Sprinkle the cheese over the sausage. Beat eggs, cream, and seasoning ingredients together and pour over the casserole.
Chill for 8 hours or overnight in refrigerator. Bake at 350 F oven for 40 – 50 min. I like to leave it covered with aluminum foil for the first 40 minutes, then remove foil for the last 10 minutes.