Saturday, September 24, 2011

Ham Cups

Ham Cups_menumusings.com
So it's always a little difficult cooking eggs for a crowd, right?  At least for me.  My mother drilled into my head that one of the most important considerations in cooking is timing everything such that all the dishes are ready at the same time.  No one wants cold eggs! 

Well this is a super easy way to make really cute eggs for everyone that will all be done at the same time.These are so easy to individualize to each person's taste with the fillings and the fact that the oven does all the work frees you up to cook the other things.... or refill juice cups.... or change the channel to a different cartoon.... AND, they are delicious!

#glutenfree #lowcarb #keto #paleo #whole30 #easy #makeahead #freezerfriendly #kidfriendly #breakfast #hamcups #dairyfreeoption

Well, it's a little hard to say, because you could add any ingredients under the sun to these.  But basically, I allowed about 1/2 egg per cup.
  • 1/2 egg per cup
  • a little heavy cream (or coconut milk)
  • grated cheese
    • optional.  omit or use vegan alternative or nutritional yeast
  • onions and peppers, diced small
  • a small pat of butter/ghee
    • you may also use plain water to cook onions
  • a couple of young green onions
  • ham slices, a little thick
  • salt and pepper to taste


Step-by-step:
To saute the onions, I cheated a little.  I added the butter to the frozen onions/peppers and threw them in the microwave for 2 minutes.  I told you this was a no-brainer recipe!  I've also done this with just water.
frozen onions, pepper, a small pat of butter
Cooking tip - frozen onions and peppers break down much more quickly than fresh ones.  So when you chop too many for a recipe, or have leftovers, store them in a zip-top bag in the freezer.  This makes prep for other dishes so much faster!
sauteed onions
Spray the muffin tin cups with non-stick cooking spray.  Line each with a slice of ham.
    Add the cooked onions/peppers
     
    Sprinkle in some shredded cheese.  I used cheddar, but Swiss or Gruyere would be great, too.
     Pour in the egg mixture
      • eggs
      • a little heavy cream
      • salt and pepper
      • beat well with a fork
     Chop a small green onion top and divide onto each.
     Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes
     The eggs get all fluffy and set; the ham gets all crunchy on the edges.  Yum.
    So your final ham cups are just perfect!  Fluffy cheesy eggy filling, salty crunchy outside.  So... Sam I am, I believe even Dr Seuss would be proud of these Green Eggs and Ham!
    The photo below is a ham cup filled with:
    • fresh chopped baby spinach
    • chopped fresh tomatoes
    • Monterrey jack cheese

    Method:
    "Saute" the onions by adding a bit of butter to frozen onions/peppers microwaving for 2 minutes.  Spray muffin tin cups with non-stick cooking spray and line each with a slice of ham.  Add the cooked onions/peppers, then sprinkle in some shredded cheese.  Pour in the egg mixture (eggs, cream, salt and pepper) and beat well with a fork.  Chop a small green onion top and divide onto each.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes. 

    Order the Menu Musings Cookbook!
    menumusings.com
     
    Looking for more recipes from my blog - breakfast or otherwise? 
    Visit my Recipe Index for lots of ideas with step-by-step directions!

    Mongolian Beef - #asian #beef
    Asian Lettuce Wraps - #asian #pork

    Creamy Chicken Piccata #italian #chicken

    Bacon Pancakes - #breakfast
    Breakfast Casserole - #breakfast
    Cinnamon Spiced Banana Caramel Pancakes - #breakfast
    Green Eggs and Ham in a Cup - #breakfast
    Click here to Subscribe to MenuMusings so you won't miss a thing!

    48 comments:

    1. That looks delicious! I am definitely going to try these!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks! Drop me a line and let me know how it goes!!

        Delete
      2. Going to have this next Sunday for breakfast. Looks really good!!!

        Delete
      3. Have you ever had any left overs? I'm wondering because these would be great to make for quick morning breakfast for the week.

        Delete
      4. I make these quite often. I'll make a batch on Sunday night, then just reheat a couple in the microwave in the morning over the next few days for a quick but filling breakfast with some fruit or toast. They keep and reheat well. I haven't tried freezing them but I think it would work okay since I freeze and reheat breakfast burritos with scrambled egg in them and they turn out fine.

        Delete
    2. Made it today! I used turkey, mozzarella, spinach, onion, and tomato. Definitely will be making this again :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. I made these today. I had yellow and orange peppers, and onions, and sauteed them. Used Colby and monterey jack cheese (it was what I had in the fridge) They turned out great! I put some Franks Red Hot sauce on them to jazz them up a little, but they were pretty good, and I got the okay to make them again from the hubby!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I didn't think about putting hot sauce on them! I bet that did wake them up a bit! :)

        Delete
    4. Is the heavy cream required, or can I use milk instead?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Milk will be fine. Just mix up scrambled eggs and pour them in! :)

        Delete
    5. These were perfect! Thank you so much for the idea!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Kate - so glad these worked out for you!! I hope you will be coming back for more recipes on my little blog. :)

        Delete
    6. Can these be frozen and reheated?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm sorry... I have no idea. I've only just made them for breakfast. They were all gobbled up. If any other viewer knows, feel free to chime in!

        Delete
      2. Must the cups be cooked at 350 dregrees? Isn't it to hight?
        (360 dregrees as European standard messure?)

        Delete
      3. 350 F works for my oven. I am not familiar with the European temperature measurements. If you would like to cook them at a lower temperature, then do so. Just be aware that they may take longer to set.

        Delete
    7. I was just wondering that too..cause would be great if they could be...then just would have to reheat for a quick breakfast or even lunch at work.

      ReplyDelete
    8. yes, They absolutely can be frozen and reheated in microwave for a great breakfast on the go.

      ReplyDelete
    9. Can you use deli ham

      ReplyDelete
    10. I make these for my partner using deli ham (even real thin-sliced is okay it seems... a couple pieces create a cup that will maintain its structural integrity once the eggs are baked into it). He'll then reheat the ham cups all through the week for a quick breakfast on the run.

      Also, if you're serving to a party with vegetarians (as I am) you can leave out the ham in a few of the cups and put about a teaspoon of italian breadcrumbs on the bottom, then repeat the steps that Julie May outlined above as you would for the ham cups. :)

      ReplyDelete
    11. My husband loved them I added sour cream and salsa on top :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ooh... that sounds awesome! Great suggestion!! Julie

        Delete
    12. I`M so excited to try these out! I`m always looking for nee things to make for my family....i think this is going to be a hit! :-)

      ReplyDelete
    13. Are these cooked in a mini muffin pan or a standard one? Do you think it would work in a mini? And lastly, did you cook the spinach & tomatoes before you added them? Thanks! = )

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi - Thanks for asking. These ham cups were cooked in a mini muffin pan, so yes - go for it! The spinach and tomatoes do NOT need to be cooked prior. Just throw them in. :)

        Delete
    14. Mmmm...just made these for breakfast. They were super tasty! I loved the crunch of the ham.

      ReplyDelete
    15. I made these today and they were excellent!!!

      ReplyDelete
    16. Just tried these this afternoon and they turned out quite well. added mushrooms to mine and some garlic powder and curry to the eggs. Will have to make these again this weekend. :)

      ReplyDelete
    17. Is that salt that is on the hashbrowns?? If so that is a LOT of salt lol. The ham cups look soooo yummy!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Kellie - Yeah... that is kosher salt on the hashbrowns. Its big, so it really catches the flash of the camera (much more than regular salt). And if you've seen any of my posts, you'll see that I have lots of ... ummm... kitchen help sometimes. We just go with it around here! :)

        Delete
    18. ok I read all the comments and I noticed that it said that mini muffin pan was used. Can I use the standard? I imagine they would have to cook longer right? Have you ever used the standard size or do you think it would be too much filing?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi laxmom!

        Of course you can! You will just be using more filling (probably more like an entire egg per cup) and yes, your cooking time will need to be increased. I would imagine it will take 30-35 minutes... but really you just need to see if they have stopped "jiggling." I know, that's not very scientific, right?! LOL

        Please let me (and everyone else) know about how long it actually take yours in the standard size muffin tins!
        Julie

        Delete
    19. I read other comments and did not notice that anyone asked so I hope I'm not repeating. Is there a specific amount of milk (heavy cream) that you added to your egg mix? Thanks!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hannah - You can probably allow about 1 Tbsp milk/cream per egg. Hope that helps! Julie

        Delete
    20. I tried it today... and I'm pleased with the result thanks for sharing....

      ReplyDelete
    21. These were excellent! I don't really like peppers, so I skipped the peppers step and just used the whites of the green onions on bottom. With no butter, these are only 3 points for 2 on weight watchers, which is fantastic! Might try doing these with egg whites and spinach in the future. Thanks so much for this great recipe!

      ReplyDelete
    22. These are so cute and versatile. My imagination is racing. Thanks for getting the juices flowing and for linking up all your amazing recipes to #theWeekendSocial. Seriously, we want you back next week! :)

      ReplyDelete
    23. These look fabulous. and would even be cute for a brunch. For variation a sprinkle of broccoli tucked underneath?

      ReplyDelete
    24. I've been sick for the last three days and haven't really eaten anything. Now I know what I want for sure. This looks perfect! Thanks!

      ReplyDelete
    25. This is a delicious recipe that is easily customizable. I used Hormel Natural Choice Cherrywood Smoked Deli Ham from Wal-Mart with grilled mushrooms, peppers, and onions from last nights dinner. I served over a bed of spinach. I made this recipe two mornings in a row. It's that good!

      ReplyDelete
    26. My niece made these for our Mother's Day brunch and wowed us all. They were great! I am looking forward to making them myself. Thanks

      ReplyDelete
    27. These came out wonderfully. Love the "grab and go". Thanks!!

      ReplyDelete

    Follow me on Pinterest

    Follow Me on Pinterest