Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Beefy Mexican Cornbread

My mom made this all the time when I was growing up, and it's always been one of my favorite comfort foods.  This is certainly not some cornbread at a buffet with just little pieces of pepper in it.  It's a complete and balanced meal, and completely filling.


  • 1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 2 lg eggs
  • 2-3 cups extra sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 1/3 cup diced jalapenos
    • can use jarred or fresh
    • can also use canned chopped chilies
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 1 can cream style corn
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 lg onion, diced small
  • 1 Tbsp canola oil
  • to taste - kosher salt
  • to taste - pepper
  • to taste - garlic powder
Garnish
  • sour cream 
  • fresh, chopped cilantro 

Method:
Preheat oven to 350 F.   
Prepare black iron skillet with oil.  Get the iron skillet real hot on the stovetop so that oil is hot.
1 Tbsp canola oil
In a skillet, brown the ground beef – breaking it up into small pieces with spatula as you go.  
1 pound lean ground beef (or turkey)



In a skillet, brown the ground beef – breaking it up into small pieces with spatula as you go. When about half done, add onions, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cumin. Saute until beef no longer pink in middle and onions translucent.
1 large onion, diced small
In a large mixing bowl, prepare the cornbread with the milk and eggs. Mix in cream style corn, half the cheese, and jalapenos.
1 box Jiffy cornbread mix, 1/3 cup milk, 1/3 cup diced jalapenos


2 large eggs

1 can cream style corn

add 2 tsp cumin, salt, pepper, garlic powder

Half of the shredded cheese
Add half the cornbread, then the meat mixture, remainder of cheese, then remainder of cornbread – layering the dish.






Bake in oven 50 – 55 minutes until golden brown and yummy!!
 


Serve with a dollop of sour cream and garnish with a little chopped cilantro if desired.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream and garnish with a little chopped cilantro if desired.


Enjoy this recipe? I hope so.  It's not pretty but its one of my favorites!  If you haven't already Click Here To Subscribe to MenuMusings so you won't miss a thing!

Want to see more recipes? Hop on over to my Recipe Index for tons of ideas of stuff to cook for and with your family!!

Here are a few "bonus" recipes:



Method:
Preheat oven to 350 F.  In a HOT skillet, prepare the black iron skillet with oil.  In a skillet, brown the ground beef – breaking it up into small pieces with spatula as you go. When about half done, add onions, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cumin. Saute until beef no longer pink in middle and onions translucent.

In a large mixing bowl, prepare the cornbread with the milk and eggs. Mix in cream style corn, half the cheese, and jalapeƱos.  Add half the cornbread, then the meat mixture, remainder of cheese, then remainder of cornbread – layering the dish.  Bake in oven 50 – 55 minutes until golden brown and yummy!!   Serve with a dollop of sour cream and garnish with a little chopped cilantro if desired.

11 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you enjoy it... and thanks for your support of my blog!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for this recipe! I made it tonight with only several slight changes.
      Instead of 2 tsp Cumin I used a full tablespoon then I added a heaping tablespoon of sour cream to the cornbread mix. First word out of my husbands mouth was a large YUM! Right away he asked me what its called so he can ask for it again.
      Last Feb I made and commented on your Chicken Monterey which I make often when trying to loose weight.
      Enjoy your blog very much, thanks for your hard work and dedication.

      PS have to laugh because our always hungry dog is in kitchen as I type letting me know he wants some of it too!
      Karen in Friendswood TX

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much, Karen! This has been "one of those days" and I so needed to hear something nice! This dish is one of my absolute favorite comfort foods. My mom used to make it, freeze it in large triangles, and send it off to college with me. It was like having "mom" even from afar. I am so pleased that you enjoy the blog. Sometimes I wonder (to myself) if anyone ever tries the recipes. Please keep coming back for more... and how about snapping a photo of you and one of the recipes? I'll put it on my viewer spotlight page! :)

      Delete
  2. I don't own an iron skillet so I was wondering what size casserole dish you recommend and would that effect the cook time? Thanks, this looks so delicious i want to fix it tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would probably try an 8"x8" casserole dish. Preferably stoneware one? Just cook until the cornbread is nice and golden brown and it should be fine.
      A secret.... I personally double the amount of cheese I put in the middle to make it extra yummy! :)

      Delete
  3. This recipe is RIDICULOUS! It is so delicious. The spicy and sweet. Such an awesome combination. My husband and mother both love this recipe. I don't change a thing. Who can go wrong with more cheese. Your blog is so awesome! Great recipes and a lot of quick ones for a working family. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How would you do this if you didn't have Jiffy and needed to do the cornbread from scratch? Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica, I looked up a copycat recipe for Jiffy. I hope this link works for you. :) https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/jiffy-corn-muffin-mix-copycat-345502

      Delete
  5. What size cast iron skillet did you use for this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Number 8 Cast Iron Skillet. If you have a variety, you will notice the cast iron skillets are stamped on the bottoms.

      Delete

Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest