Sunday, October 9, 2011

Toffee Pumpkin Cheesecake

So this was another gem adapted from one of those little Betty Crocker recipe booklets that stare you down in the supermarket checkout line!


For those of you worried about the intricacies of cheesecake - DON'T!  It may look fancy (hopefully), but it was super easy.  Of course mine doesn't look exactly like the original, because I like to put my own stamp and style on it in terms of decorating it, etc., but that is up to the sole discretion of the cook.


Ingredients: 
2 cups cinnamon graham cracker crumbs (32 squares)
1/2 cup melted butter
2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
5 eggs
1 (8 oz) bag toffee bits
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
3/4 cup whipping cream
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
Toppings of choice






Method:
Heat oven to 300 degrees.  Spray 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray.

Pulverize graham crackers to a fine powder.  I used my food processor, but you could also put them in a zip top bag and pound them. In a small bowl, mix crumbs and butter.  Mix until a course meal is achieved.  Press in bottom of pan.  Bake 15 minutes.  Cool 10 minutes.

Beat cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar and the vanilla with electric mixer on high speed until smooth.  Beat in 2 of the eggs.  Mix until smooth to incorporate the eggs.  STIR in 1 cup of the toffee bits.  Spread over crust.  In a large bowl, mix pumpkin, whipping cream, 2/3 cup sugar, the cinnamon, salt and remaining 3 eggs just until blended.  Slowly and carefully spoon over cheesecake layer.  You don't want to disrupt the first layer.

Bake 2 hours or until edge of cheesecake is set at least 2 inches from edge of pan but center still jiggles slightly when moved.  During this process, I added a small pan of water to the bottom rack of the oven filled with water.  I wanted to have some more moisture in there to prevent splitting. Turn oven off, open oven door at least 4 inches.  Leave cheesecake in oven 30 minutes. Run spatula around edge of pan.  Cool 30 minutes or more on cooling rack. Refrigerate 6 hours or overnight.  Run spatula around edge of pan; remove side of pan.

Decorate at will!  This could mean piping whipped topping around the edges of the cheesecake and sprinkling with remaining toffee bits as suggested by the recipe.  I didn't want the topping to "melt" all over the top of mine, so I took a different route.  I crushed up an additional 2 squares of cinnamon grahams and mixed them with extra toffee bits.  I sprinkled this mixture around the outer 1 inch of the cheesecake, and around the bottom.  I took a couple of large bars of caramel and and sea salt dark chocolate and broke them into large angular chunks.  I placed these around the top for some added dimension.  Little pieces made a pile in the center.

 


I hope you enjoyed this simple and delicious recipe!
There are hundreds more in my Recipe Index, just waiting to be chosen and cooked!  You can also visit my Film strips for pinning page, to see whole recipes at a glance, and to click-and-go right to the recipe.





The Menu Musings cookbook is sure to be a hit at your house, and will make great gifts!  For more information, here is a link!

Order your copy of the Menu Musings Cookbook! 

Connect with me.    
If you are new to MenuMusings, click here to subscribe so you won't miss a thing!  I'll send you notifications of new posts to help you avoid that proverbial cooking rut.  You can also follow me on Pinterest and on the MenuMusings facebook page.




Also, Please be sure to visit my YouTube Channel for short video tutorials on selected videos.  Watch me explain the steps of the recipes in just a few minutes!  Just one more way that I'm giving you the tools to get in that kitchen!!! Aren't you curious?  Click and see how many there are!  :)


Here are some bonus recipes for you:
Sesame Shrimp and Asparagus Stir-Fry

Roasted Vegetable Chicken Pot Pie

Butter Pecan Sweet Potatoes


3 comments:

  1. I was looking for a pumpkin dessert to make for my husband's aunt last weekend since pumpkin is her favorite. When I ran across this recipe, I knew it was the one! She also loves toffee (Heath bars) and I knew this would be to die for! My family has since requested that I make this for Thanksgiving this year! Thanks for posting this recipe! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest