Saturday, October 19, 2013

Cheesy Baked Spaghetti


I would be willing to bet that 90% of you have a pack of leftover spaghetti sauce in the freezer.  In preparation for a trip recently, I needed a dinner option that was going to be super easy that I did not need to run out to the store for.  To complicate matters, my kids are NOT fans of leftovers, so I try to be creative in my use of leftover ingredients.  This easy cheesy baked spaghetti turned out to be a big hit at our house!



Ingredients:  
  • Leftover spaghetti meat sauce
    • I had about 3 cups
  • Pasta of your choice
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano reggiano
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 - 1/2 tsp tsp black pepper
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • a ball of fresh mozzarella cheese
  • Italian seasoning



Step-by-Step:
Pull out a pack of spaghetti meat sauce to thaw.  If you need to use a jarred sauce, just crumble and brown some ground beef (or Italian sausage, or ground turkey) with some added seasonings just as if you are making spaghetti. 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Get your pasta boiled according to package directions. Drain, rinse in cool water, and set aside.  Make as much as you think your family will eat, just as you normally do.
 
While the pasta is boiling, mix together the eggs, Parmesan, basil, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and half of the shredded mozzarella.  
 
Mix the egg and cheese mixture into the drained spaghetti.  
Mix in the meat sauce and the other half of the shredded mozzarella.  You can leave it on top or mix it in if you would prefer.


Top with slices of fresh mozzarella and several grinds of Italian seasoning on top.
Cover with aluminum foil, in a tented fashion (not touching the toppings). 
Bake at 350 degrees F for about 40 minutes tented with the aluminum foil, then uncover and continue to bake another 15 minutes or so until the cheese is all melted on the top.   
Enjoy!

I hope you enjoyed this recipe idea?  Why don't you click over to my Recipe Index and see what else I have cooking!   You will find tons of ideas to cook for your family - from things made totally from scratch, to recipes such as this that make use of convenience items or leftovers!

Connect with me!  Why don't you Click here to subscribe to MenuMusings so you won't miss a thing.  You can also follow me on Pinterest and on the MenuMusings Facebook Page. 

Order the Menu Musings Cookbook!


Here are some bonus recipes for you:
Written Method:
Pull out a pack of spaghetti meat sauce to thaw.  If you need to use a jarred sauce, just crumble and brown some ground beef (or Italian sausage, or ground turkey) with some added seasonings just as if you are making spaghetti. 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Get your pasta boiled according to package directions. Drain, rinse in cool water, and set aside.

While the pasta is boiling, mix together the eggs, Parmesan, basil, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and half of the shredded mozzarella.  Mix the egg and cheese mixture into the drained spaghetti.  Mix in the meat sauce and the other half of the shredded mozzarella.  You can leave it on top or mix it in if you would prefer.  Top with slices of fresh mozzarella and several grinds of Italian seasoning on top.

Cover with aluminum foil, in a tented fashion (not touching the toppings).  Bake at 350 degrees F for about 40 minutes tented with the aluminum foil, then uncover and continue to bake another 15 minutes or so until the cheese is all melted on the top. 

4 comments:

  1. I finally have to leave a comment! I found your blog from a Google search for a chicken cordon bleu recipe. My boyfriend requested it because it is one of his favorite meals. WOW! We loved it, he said it was the best chicken cordon bleu he has ever had. Next, I made your high class shepherd's pie for my parents and siblings. We were so impressed! Once again, my sister said it was the best she ever had. (She was the only one of all of us who've had it before.) Tonight, I made this cheesy baked spaghetti and it was awesome! Your recipes have everything I am looking for, short ingredients list, simple well written instructions (with pictures) and they taste so, so delicious! When I am looking for a new recipe to try, forget Pinterest, I head over to menu musings. I am so thankful I discovered your blog from that Google search. Next up, black pepper cheddar bay biscuits, and I know I won't be disappointed. Thank you so much for sharing your recipes! I am and will continue to be a frequent visitor on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Ashley! That was an awesome comment to wake up to! I so appreciate you trying my recipes, and now becoming a faithful follower!!!! I LOVE having new followers in my little MenuMusings community. And speaking of which - I just signed a cookbook deal with a publisher. So next year, you'll be able hold many of these recipes in your hand (and share with your family). I will continue to be on the lookout for your comments. Ha! (and just a note, shoot over to my Facebook page so you can ask questions or leave comments on a super casual basis.)

      Nice to have you on board!!! Enjoy those biscuits! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi there. Do you have a sauce recipe? Here you use frozen meat sauce and I would like to do the same as I detest jarred sauce. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the link to my Italian Sausage Marinara. It's one of my favs. http://menumusings.blogspot.com/2013/02/eggplant-parmigiana-with-italian.html

      Delete

Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest