Thursday, February 20, 2014

Chocolate Mint Brownies

I was sitting in the car line one day waiting to pick up Lovely Lily from pre-K and I found a calendar that my old realtor had sent me that had.... wait for it.... a recipe on every page!  How cool! I knew I liked her for a reason!  Anyway, this was one of the recipes, which comes from www.bettycrocker.com.   You all know I'm not a huge sweets fan, so these really don't appeal to me, but I figured that the kids might get a kick out of it.  Essentially, you have a deluxe chocolate brownie, covered by a layer of lightly minted frosting, all topped off by a layer of semisweet chocolate ganache.  

This may be the sort of thing to cut into small squares (they are very rich) to take a party in the spring with the nice light green color.
Ingredients:    

Brownie Base
  • 1 box of your favorite deluxe brownies plus the oil, water, and egg called for on the brownie box.  
Filling
  • 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 3 Tbsp butter, softened
  • 3 Tbsp whipping cream
  • 1/8 tsp mint extract
  • 2 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 2 -3 drops green food coloring
Topping
  • 1/3 cup whipping cream
  • 8 oz semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • white almond bark candy coating
Bake your brownies according to the directions on your brownie box.  Then allow them to cool completely.  
Notes.  Make sure you grease the bottom of the dish first with nonstick cooking spray.  I would also advise that you use parchment paper to make a "sling" in the bottom of the dish so that you can completely lift out the brownies when they are done.  Notice how I DIDN'T do that this time?  Yep.  Learn from me that it's easier when you DO make one.  (Check out how I did this on the German Chocolate Brownies recipe).

Filling.  In a mixing bowl, beat filling ingredients on medium until smooth.  Spread over cooled brownies.  Refrigerate until set.
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar + 3 Tbsp softened butter
 3 Tbsp heavy whipping cream + 1/8 tsp mint extract (you don't want to overdo the mint!)
2-3 drops of green food coloring
Spread it all around.  Note - It's not a necessity that you take the brownies out of the dish to do all this.  You can leave them in the pan if you find it easier.  With the parchment sling, though, they should just lift right out.
Topping.  In a saucepan, heat topping ingredients over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until melted and smooth.  Cool 10 minutes.  Pour over filing.  Spread to cover.  Refrigerate uncovered until set.  Let stand 10 minutes at room temperature; cut into bars or small squares.  Store covered in refrigerator. 

1/3 cup butter + 8 oz semisweet chocolate chips + 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
Tip - I put my brownies and filling in the freezer for a while to make sure my ganache wouldn't "melt" the filling when I added it.
Now go stick the whole thing back in the refrigerator for a while to firm up. Don't be in a hurry.
Here you go.  Find someone with a real sweet tooth for these.   Oh - almost forgot... for the drizzle at the top, I rummaged through the pantry and found some white almond bark candy.  Melted it in the microwave and drizzled it with a fork over the top, just to dress it up a bit.  That stuff is much easier to work with than "real" chocolate.  :)
I hope you enjoyed this recipe!
There are hundreds more in my Recipe Index, just waiting to be chosen and cooked!  Real recipes that won't give you cavities just by looking at them!  LOL!!  You can also visit my Film strips for pinning page, to see whole recipes at a glance, and to click-and-go right to the recipe.

Connect with me.    
If you are new to MenuMusings, click here to subscribe so you won't miss a thing!  I'll send you notifications of new posts to help you avoid that proverbial cooking rut.  You can also follow me on Pinterest and on the MenuMusings facebook page.

Order the MenuMusings Cookbook!

Here are some bonus recipes for you.
Tomato Basil Chicken

Crock Pot Pork Chops

Carrot Souffle - Just like at Piccadilly!

Chicken Molcajete

Creole Red Snapper

Beefy Crunch Wrap Supremes

Baked Brie with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Thyme

Lily's Maple Bacon Green Beans with Slivered Almonds
Written Method:
Brownies.  Bake your brownies according to the directions on your brownie box.  Then allow them to cool completely.  
Notes.  Make sure you grease the bottom of the dish first with nonstick cooking spray.  I would also advise that you use parchment paper to make a "sling" in the bottom of the dish so that you can completely lift out the brownies when they are done.  (Check out how I did this on the German Chocolate Brownies recipe)

Filling.  In a mixing bowl, beat filling ingredients on medium until smooth.  Spread over cooled brownies.  Refrigerate until set.

Topping.  In a saucepan, heat topping ingredients over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until melted and smooth.  Cool 10 minutes.  Pour over filing.  Spread to cover.  Refrigerate uncovered until set.  Let stand 10 minutes at room temperature; cut into bars or small squares.  Store covered in refrigerator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest