Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Strawberry Cream Cheese Cobbler

http://menumusings.blogspot.com/
Cobbler has got to be one of the easiest "throw together" desserts there is.  One night last week, the little ones and I were home alone for the evening and we had... yes, I admit it... frozen pizza!  I know, kinda hard to believe isn't it?  I tried to resign myself to the idea, but I just couldn't let the night go by with frozen pizza being the sum total of my children's culinary experience.  That brings me back to cobbler - a dessert made up of stuff you most likely have on hand this very second!

So without further delay, let's see how to make it.  Then you'll have a culinary curve ball in your back pocket for some day when you just want to throw something together.   Follow along with me with the step-by-step directions, or Click here to Print out the recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 cup self-rising flour
  • 1 1/2 cup milk (regular or 2%)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 - 2 cups fresh strawberries, stems removed, washed and cut into quarters
  • 4 oz cream cheese (regular or reduced fat)
  • 1/2 stick (4 Tbsp) butter, melted
Step-by-Step:
The basic batter for a cobbler is just a 1:1:1 ratio of the sugar, self-rising flour, and milk.  Then you get to throw whatever additional flavorings and berries that you'd like.   The Mexican vanilla gives everything an amazing flavor (just throw that imitation stuff down the sink!), and the fresh sweet berries speak for themselves.  My favorite part, however, is the crust.. The butter bakes up around it making it so buttery and crunchy.  Yum.  

So mix together the sugar, self-rising flour, and  milk.   By using a self-rising flour, we eliminate the need of adding leavening ingredients... making this super fast and easy to put together.
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup self rising flour
Add in the milk, some great vanilla, then whisk it all together.
1 1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
whisk it all together
Prepare the strawberries by rinsing them, removing the stems, and cutting them into quarters.   It's good to have professionals to do this sort of thing.  As one of my co-workers mentioned - soon, I'll be able to just come home and put my feet up and not even have to worry about cooking!
rinse and prep the berries
Prepare the pan by melting 4 Tbsp butter and pouring it into the bottom of a casserole dish.  My short chefs chose this dish, but I actually prefer making this cobbler in a 9x13x2" dish.  A wider, more shallow dish gives me more crunchy crust and more room to put the goodies.
4 Tbsp melted butter in the bottom of the casserole dish
Pour the batter right over the butter.  The butter will work its way up and around the edges, ensuring us a beautiful buttery brown crust.  Don't worry about your batter being a little lumpy.  I promise, it will all be fine... better than fine... in the end!
Add the batter. 
Now add the fresh berries right on top of the batter.  You don't even have to mix them in.  The batter will cook up around the berries.  If you choose to use frozen berries, beware that they give off a lot of water when they thaw, and it may appear that your colors are bleeding together.  But it will still taste great.
1 1/2 - 2 cups fresh strawberries, quartered
Now get your cream cheese ready.  All I did was cut it into little cubes.
4 oz cream cheese, cut into little cubes
I just added the cream cheese cubes onto the top of the cobbler and sort of pushed them down a bit into the batter with my finger.  This is a very low tech recipe! LOL  And now, it is ready for the oven.
Bake the cobbler, uncovered, for 1 hour at 350 degrees F.



Written Directions:
Mix together the sugar, self-rising flour, and  milk. Add in the milk and vanilla, then whisk together.
Prepare the strawberries by rinsing them, removing the stems, and cutting them into quarters.  Prepare the pan by melting 4 Tbsp butter and pouring it into the bottom of a 9x13x2 casserole dish. Pour the batter right over the butter.  Add the fresh berries right on top of the batter. Now get your cream cheese ready.  All I did was cut it into little cubes.  Add the cream cheese cubes onto the top of the cobbler and pushed them down a bit with your finger.  Bake the cobbler, uncovered, for 1 hour at 350 degrees F.

Order the Menu Musings Cookbook! 
 
Looking for more amazing desserts?  Check out my Recipe Index for lots of ideas!  Every skill level is covered - from super simple like this all the way to recipes for special occasions.   Here are a few to whet your appetite:
apple and cherry danish tarts

 fruit pizza
 
Chocolate Covered Cherries Cake


Click here to Subscribe to MenuMusings so you won't miss a thing.

14 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your blog. Your recipes and photography are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO MUCH, Susie!! That really means a lot to me. I so hope that you will be a regular reader... and that you will share my blog with your friends and family. If you make the recipes, be sure to drop me a line letting me know how they come out. Julie

      Delete
  2. I just discovered you via Pinterest - and made this cobbler tonight. It was a HUGE hit and has already been requested in lieu of a birthday cake next month! Thank you so much for sharing. Your mom-food blog is what I wish mine was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kyra - what a precious message for me to wake up to today! I am SO pleased that you discovered my blog from Pinterest!! Please feel free to come back for more recipes and share my blog with others. Julie

      Delete
  3. via Pinterest. Will let you know how much I like it in about an hour... :) for what it's worth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made this for Thanksgiving. It was a big hit! Had to reheat it because I cooked it the night before but it was still yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very flattered that you made this for your Thanksgiving celebration; and I'm glad it was a hit! (but there's nothing like that crunchy, buttery crust when it just comes out of the oven! LOL)
      Happy holidays,
      Julie

      Delete
  5. If it is cool enough on our Southern Hemisphere summer Christmas Day then this is what I will make for dessert. If it is too hot on Christmas Day then it will be made on the first coolest day after that! ;-)
    What would you suggest serving it with, or is it fine to eat on its own please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn -

      My kids enjoy the cobbler with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I prefer it plain... but either way, hot from the oven is the best while the buttery crust is all crunchy! :)
      Hope you enjoy way down there in New Zealand!

      Merry Christmas!
      Julie

      Delete
  6. could a person substitute fresh frozen fruit instead of fresh strawberries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made this cobbler recipe with all sorts of fruit and berries, both fresh and frozen. For frozen, just be aware that they give off more liquid as they thaw, and sometimes the "colors can run" if you know what I mean.
      Good luck!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a dessert I want to make.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not have self raising floor..What do you suggest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To make your own, combine 1 cup of all-purpose flour with 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.

      Delete

Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest