Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sour Cream Banana Nut Bread


This is the perfect cure for buying too many bananas!  In our house, I usually only buy a few bananas at a time, as our family rarely eats a whole "bunch" of them; but when I sent my sweet husband to the store with a grocery list, he came back with practically the whole tree! When bananas are really ripe and sweet, there are few things better to do with them than this. Banana nut bread is a great snack, with a great balance of nutrition.  This recipe will make 1 large loaf, but these little individual loaves are super cute, and just the right size for a bake sale, teacher gifts, neighbor thank you gifts, a quick breakfast, etc.

This recipe came from one of my favorite cookbooks, Celebrations on the Bayou, given to me some 20 years ago by a dear friend.  I've been making this ever since then... and when my oldest child was a toddler, it was sometimes the only thing I could get him to eat.  Today, I looked at my youngest (3 years old) and asked if she wanted to make banana nut bread.  Almost instantaneously, that big voice (almost 15 years old now) came from another part of the house... "Yes!!"  Ha!  The allure of this super easy recipe apparently still works like a charm!


Click for Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup mashed bananas (about 3 bananas)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream (I use the "light" version)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans




Step-by-step
Cream together the butter and sugar.
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
Cream together well.

Add eggs and mix well.
2 eggs
Mix well.
Sift together:  flour, soda, and salt.
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups flour
Sift.
Get the last bits out! Ha Ha!

Combine the flour mixture with the butter mixture.
Combine.
Add the bananas, sour cream, and vanilla and mix well.
3 large bananas - peeled, of course, and mashed.
1/2 cup light sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
Add the chopped nuts.
1/2 cup chopped pecans
Pour the batter into a greased 9x5x3 loaf pan or several smaller loaf pans (or muffin tins).

Bake in 350 degree oven for 1 hour for 1 loaf, or around 20 minutes for muffins or small loaves.

Mmmmm......

Click here to Subscribe to MenuMusings so you won't miss a thing!

Written Directions: 
Cream together the butter and sugar.  Add eggs and mix well.  Sift together:  flour, soda, and salt.  Combine the flour mixture with the butter mixture. Add the bananas, sour cream, and vanilla and mix well.  Add the chopped nuts. Pour the batter into a greased 9x5x3 loaf pan or several smaller loaf pans (or muffin tins). Bake in 350 degree oven for 1 hour for 1 loaf, or around 20 minutes for muffins or small loaves.
 

14 comments:

  1. This looks so good! I really love your style of blogging - the fact that you have step-by-step photographs is really helpful and the personal touch is lovely as well. So nice to see your kids getting involved :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate - I don't know how I missed your comment! Sorry!!! Thanks for the kind words... nowadays, they won't allow me to cook without them any more. :)

      Delete
  2. I made this recipe yesterday. It was so moist. There are a lot of banana bread recipes but this one is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kaye! I appreciate you stopping by my blog. Please come back to try more recipes!

      Delete
  3. This looks so good! I love a good banana bread, and yours looks absolutely delicious. Definitely trying soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recipe looks absolutely delicious!! But I have to ask, Julie, where did you get the measuring spoons? Cutest ones I've ever seen! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wish I could tell you where to buy the measuring spoons, but they were a gift. :(

      Delete
    2. How can I "pin" your recipes?

      Delete
    3. There are a couple of ways. Right about the recipe, there is a button that says "follow me on Pinterest." The second way, here is a link to the board with all (most) of my stuff: http://pinterest.com/julievsmith/recipes-from-my-blog/. Thirdly, you can right click on the web url, then go to your pin boards. Next to your name in the top right, there should be a "Plus" sign (+). Click this and it will allow you to "add from a website." You would paste the url of what you want to pin into that box. It will allow you to choose various images from the post. You get to choose. Good luck! :)

      Delete
    4. I'm so glad I read this comment, thank you for providing more than one way, this helped so much!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for making this with a printable version. I am trying it today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this recipe, and I have to say that is very simple to make, I made it with my 3yo, it's delicious and my family devoured it in a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to comment. So glad you and your family enjoyed this recipe. And super happy that you enjoy cooking with your family as much as I do! :)

      Delete

Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest