Sunday, July 17, 2011

Canon's Bug Cakelets

Well I'm not sure what Mrs Noah did on that ark for 40 days while it rained... but we cook. 

Canon's Bug Cakelets
A while back, I found this "bug" cakelet pan at Target.  I knew a rainy day would come!  I was a little scared of having all those nooks and crannies to deal with, but I sprayed it with Crisco with flour spray, and the bugs practically jumped out on their own.  Yay!


Bug cakelet pan

... in case you want to go out and pick one up.


Fill 2/3 full.


Let cook in pan 10 minutes.


Let the cakelets cool completely on a wire rack.
The recipe was SUPER simple and just delicious!
 2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
1 1/4 cups milk
3 1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
3 eggs


Now for this, I had to KEEP in mind that this was a CHILD's activity.  You know I would have spent hours placing each sprinkle if I were the one doing it for some function... but a rainy day activity is different.  These were Canon's project.

Trim the edges ... because we put a little too much batter.
This is the glaze we used.  I'm not crazy about it, and would recommend making your own glaze.. but we had it on hand and it was fast and easy.  You just warm it and then pour over the cakes. 

Decorate (Mom's... tie your hands behind your backs and resist the urge to make them perfect.  They call this "self talk" in therapy.)

Ta da!

For the second batch, Canon dusted them with powdered sugar.

Cute, huh?
Well... that was the rainy Sunday afternoon project.  I'm sure someone with cake decorating skills would make something really fabulous; but we just made time together.

Written Direction:
Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour the pan; set aside.  In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and blend on low speed, scraping the bowl often.  Beat on high for 3 minutes.  Pour the batter into the prepared pans (I used a ladle), filling wells 2/3 full; set asided remaining batter.  Bake 18 - 22 minutes (I did them for 18 minutes), until a toothpick comes out clean.  Remove from oven; cool for 10 minutes in the pan.  Invert the cakes onto a cooling rack and cool completely.  Wash, dry and prepare the pan again.  Repeat the procedure with remaining batter.  Frost and decorate as desired.  Makes 10 - 12 cakes.


Want more great recipes?
Please visit my Recipe Index for tons of ideas that you can cook with/for you family!  









No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest