Saturday, June 25, 2011

Roasted Tomato and Basil Brunch Sandwich

Okay.... so this is definitely NOT a clever or snappy name... but I have no idea what to call this one.  I have recently been the recipient of a steady stream of some of the juiciest, reddest, sweetest homegrown tomatoes ever, and I can't get enough of them.  It was a busy morning, so by the time I got things done, breakfast time was a distant memory; but I wanted something a little more substantial than those two cups of coffee from three hours ago to hold me until lunch time.  So let's see what I had on hand, in the fridge, and in the herb garden.

This brunch sandwich certainly filled the bill; and let me just go ahead and tell you - it was FABULOUS!
My favorite store-bought basil pesto

A light, fluffy egg scramble - salt, pepper, dried basil

A lightly toasted piece of french bread

Add the basil immediately to the hot toast and it will begin to melt into the bread.  Yum.

Top with the hot egg

Add bacon (pancetta would be in keeping with the Italian theme, but this was left over from the kids' breakfast)

Broiled tomatoes - a little olive oil (can even use the spray olive oil in the can), salt, pepper, dried basil.
Top the bacon with the broiled tomatoes
I added ribbons of freshly picked basil from my garden
Top with a little freshly grated pecorino romano cheese. (could use parmesan, asiago, etc)

finish off with freshly cracked black pepper!
Man, oh Man!  Was this ever a great sandwich!!  My day just went from good to stellar!!

Written Method:
choose your favorite store-bought basil pesto.  Make a light, fluffy egg scrambled - salt, pepper, dried basil. Lightly toast a piece of french bread. Add the basil immediately to the hot toast and it will begin to melt into the bread.  Yum. Top with the hot egg.  Add bacon (pancetta would be in keeping with the Italian theme, but this was left over from the kids' breakfast).

Broiled tomatoes - a little olive oil (can even use the spray olive oil in the can), salt, pepper, dried basil.  Top the bacon with the broiled tomatoes. I added ribbons of freshly picked basil from my garden.  Top with a little freshly grated pecorino romano cheese. (could use parmesan, asiago, etc)
finish off with a little extra grind of cracked pepper


Want more breakfast ideas? Visit my Recipe Index for more Ideas!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest