Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Freezer Friendly Breakfast Burritos

Freezer Friendly Breakfast Burritos _menumusings
So I was just looking through my photos and realized I had done this fun little breakfast recipe but had never put it on here!  Sometimes I don't know how things get past, but life happens, right?  First of all, I know a ton of kids who love breakfast items that come from a "box."  That runs the gamut of pop-tarts and cereal to frozen breakfast sandwiches, frozen pre-made French toast and croissants to toaster strudels.  Well guess what?  Not mine.  I'm rolling my eyes as I type.  I never felt these processed things were healthy so even when I bought them (for emergency breakfasts and such), I still always tended to make my kids a hot breakfast.  It just became our habit.  

Fast forward to times when I WANTED the kids to "just go grab yourself something and heat it up."  They balked.  "Those frozen breakfast sandwiches taste like 'plastic.'" Or "That frozen French toast is gross."  This is the beast I've created.  But I digress.  So in an effort to encourage more independence in kids getting old enough to get their own breakfast occasionally, I made these breakfast burritos.  Of course you could totally put whatever you wanted in them to personalize them... just label, wrap and freeze!  Voila!  Breakfast on-the-go filled with tons of protein and maybe a few veggies if you can sneak them in.  This also works fantastic if you live alone or just take your breakfast alone and need something fast and healthy!  Have a dorm kid?  Send them off with some of these to throw in that dorm freezer to reheat in the morning or for a midnight snack in their microwave! 


Ingredients: (4 burritos)
Ingredients for this are very touchy feely.  I made this as more of a concept.  Feel free to completely add your choice of ingredients.  Make a theme of it if you'd like!  *Have leftover fajita meat with onions and peppers?  They would fantastic in these!
  • 4 pork sausage patties
    • You could use turkey sausage, chicken sausage, andouille, or even just chopped ham/turkey, cooked bacon.  But enough where each person has enough protein/portion.
  • 6 eggs
    • I allowed 1 1/2 eggs per portion.  Change as desired.
  • Generous portion of kosher salt and ground black pepper
  • A bit of water added to the egg mixture (allows them to steam while cooking)
  • If desired, a handful of frozen mixed peppers
  • A handful of chopped frozen onions
    • The frozen ones break down faster!  
  • A pat of butter added to the peppers (maybe a Tbsp)
  • Shredded cheese of your liking, probably a cup more or less
Step-by-Step:
I'm cooking pork sausage.  Use whatever protein you'd like.  This one was raw.  If you want to use one that is precooked, you can just chop it up into bitesized pieces and skip this step.
pork sausage patties
 Cook sausage only until cooked.  Not until dry.
So now I just fix my scrambled eggs like I normally would.  Season them well as the tortilla does not come pre-seasoned.   If you have additional seasonings you enjoy, add them. 
6 large eggs (1 1/2 eggs per person)
 Add seasonings...
To save myself both time AND an entire pan to clean, I'm just gonna throw my frozen onions and peppers in the microwave with a bit of butter for a couple of minutes to cook them down.   
Frozen onions + peppers + 1 Tbsp butter
 Microwave x 2 minutes or until veggies or soft.
 You may need to drain out extra liquid.
So just cook your scrambled eggs soft - but do NOT overcook them.  Only until they are softly set.  Add in your cooked veggies.   Turn off the heat.  
Have your tortillas sort of ready and staged, waiting for the filling.  I precut some pieces of cling wrap and set my tortillas out.  Use the tortillas of your choice - regular, whole wheat, low carb, paleo, whatever you choose.  
Divide the filling into four equal portions and add to the tortillas.  Add as much shredded cheese as you desire. 
Fold in the sides of the tortilla.
 Fold up the bottom.....
Then roll up!
Wrap the whole thing in the cling wrap. 
Don't forget to date and label the burritos.  This is especially important if you are using different fillings for your family members.   
The great thing about them being individually wrapped is that they won't stick together in the freezer; and they are super easy to take out to thaw and reheat. 
To reheat:  Remove from wrap, wrap in a paper towel, place on a microwave safe plate and heat up to two minutes or until hot.  Even better if you want to take them out the night before to thaw. 

Written Method:
I'm cooking pork sausage.  Use whatever protein you'd like.  This one was raw.  If you want to use one that is precooked, you can just chop it up into bitesized pieces and skip this step.  Cook sausage only until cooked.  Not until dry.

Fix your scrambled eggs like you normally would.  Season them well as the tortilla does not come pre-seasoned.   If you have additional seasonings you enjoy, add them. 

To save myself both time AND an entire pan to clean, I throw my frozen onions and peppers in the microwave with a bit of butter for a couple of minutes to cook them down.   Microwave x 2 minutes or until veggies or soft.  You may need to drain out extra liquid.

So just cook your scrambled eggs soft - but do NOT overcook them.  Only until they are softly set.  Add in your cooked veggies.   Turn off the heat.  

Have your tortillas sort of ready and staged, waiting for the filling.  I precut some pieces of cling wrap and set my tortillas out.  Use the tortillas of your choice - regular, whole wheat, low carb, paleo, whatever you choose.  Divide the filling into four equal portions and add to the tortillas.  Add as much shredded cheese as you desire.  Fold in the sides of the tortilla.  Fold up the bottom.....Then roll up!  Wrap the whole thing in the cling wrap. 

Don't forget to date and label the burritos.  This is especially important if you are using different fillings for your family members.   The great thing about them being individually wrapped is that they won't stick together in the freezer; and they are super easy to take out to thaw and reheat. 

To reheat:  Remove from wrap, wrap in a paper towel, place on a microwave safe plate and heat up to two minutes or until hot.  Even better if you want to take them out the night before to thaw. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest