So yes, there are absolutely a ton of ways to make make cobblers, crisps, buckles, Brown Betty's and the like. Maybe they've been so popular for a gazillion years because they are super comforting, super versatile, require few ingredients, and above all, super easy! I mean let's face it, if you can just dump a few pantry ingredients together and throw the dish in the oven while dinner is being made and have something that warms everyone's hearts like this... then what's not to love?
This recipe is no exception. You can use the frozen fruit of your choice to whip up something so homey and comforting that even the most novice of cooks will appear to be a seasoned baker. This berry crisp dump cake is just perfect for times when you have unexpected guests, occasions when you need to bring a dish over for someone, or just a super easy weeknight dessert for the people you cherish the most - your family.
- Nonstick cooking spray for casserole dish
- 24 oz frozen mixed berries
- or fruit of your choice
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup (16 Tbsp) melted butter
- 1/3 cup rolled or quick oats
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
This takes such little time to prep that you should go ahead and preheat the oven immediately to 350F.
Begin by spraying a 9"x13" casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Dump in your frozen berries of choice.
|24oz frozen berries or fruit of your choice|
Evenly distribute the contents of 1 box of yellow cake mix over the top of the berries.
|1 box yellow cake mix|
In a small bowl, mix together 1/3 cup rolled oats and 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans.
|1/3 cup rolled or quick oats|
|1/3 cup chopped pecans|
Add the oat/nut mixture to the top of the cake mix.
Top the oat/nut mixture with 1 cup melted butter, distributed evenly.
|1 cup (16 Tbsp) melted butter|
Now our little crisp is ready to pop into our preheated 350F oven until the filling is firm and the topping is golden brown and delicious! Depending on your oven, this may take anywhere from about 55 min - 70 min or so.
|Berry crisp dump cake after baking|
I personally think this is a dessert best served warm. Mmmm.
|5-Ingredient Berry Crisp Dump Cake with Vanilla Ice Cream|
Here are some bonus recipes:
Easy Cajun Chicken Pasta Bake - Great for a crowd (or a house full of teenagers and their friends). Good way to stretch your budget!
|Easy Cajun Chicken Pasta Bake|
|Crawfish Fritters with Spicy Remoulade Sauce|
|Creole Red Snapper|
|Brady's Brussels Sprouts Hash|
|Spicy Fried Cauliflower Bites|
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Spray a 9"x13" casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Dump in your frozen berries of choice.
- Evenly distribute the contents of 1 box of yellow cake mix over the top of the berries.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1/3 cup rolled oats and 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans.
- Add the oat/nut mixture to the top of the cake mix.
- Top the oat/nut mixture with 1 cup melted butter, distributed evenly.
- Bake at 350F until the filling is firm and the topping is golden brown and delicious! Depending on your oven, this may take anywhere from about 55 min - 70 min or so.
- After removing the crisp from the oven, allow it to sit about five minutes or so while you find something lovely to serve it with - like vanilla ice cream, or whipped topping. :)