All I was in charge of this time was a couple of side dishes. It was my turn to be treated to a scrumptious peppercorn encrusted grilled steak topped with a honey and blue cheese topping. So I made some garlic and Parmesan mashed potatoes and these absolutely delightful braised baby carrots.
- baby carrots
- maple syrup
- chopped pecans
- sprig of rosemary*
- *variations to this below recipe
*For another variation, rather than the pecans, add a chiffonade of a few fresh sage leaves at the very end of cooking.
- add the baby carrots to a pot of simmering-boiling water and cook until about 2/3 done
- gently drain the carrots.. being careful not to break them
- in a small seasoned black iron skillet, add a couple of pats of butter
- cook on medium-high until butter is very hot and bubbly
- add the carrots
- cook in the butter until the butter gets a little brown color
- now lower heat to medium
- add a sprinkle of cinnamon over the carrots
- add 2 -3 Tbsp maple syrup and a handful of chopped pecans over the carrots
- add part of a sprig of rosemary (about 3 inches worth) that has been stripped and chopped
- allow the liquid to reduce down to a glaze
- turn off the heat and allow to sit and thicken a bit
- CAREFULLY remove to a plate. They will be very tender now and will break easily.
- Spoon the glaze and pecans over individual portions
|The rare photo of me actually sitting to eat...|